Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Edit
Originally the Deathmatch playlist featured all deathmatch variations that appear in the game. This was changed by Naughty Dog on the 14th of October 2009 when the playlist was restricted to purely deathmatch only with no variations.
Deathmatches feature two opposing teams: Heroes vs Villains. The goal is to score the most kills. The first team to reach a set number of kills wins the match, otherwise the team with more kills after the time runs out wins, meaning the match could end as a tie. The ideal goal of deathmatch matchmaking is five players per team. This will give a goal of 50 kills to win. If only eight players are found, the match will be four players per team with a goal of 40 kills, and if only six players can be found, there will be three per team with a goal of 25 kills. This kill goal also changes during matches if players leave, decreasing to 40 when only eight players remain and 25 if six players remain in the game.
There are several variations of the standard deathmatch gametype. The Deathmatch playlist features only standard Deathmatches with the regular compliment of weapons on the map. The "All Competitive Modes" playlist features three variations, however it also includes other gametypes, each of which are just as likely to be selected. "The Lab" has also featured several deathmatch variations. A complete list is given below:
Variations in "All Competitive Modes" Edit
- Pistols & Grenades only
- No Power Weapons
- Desert-5 Shootout
Variations in "The Lab" Edit
- 2 vs. 2 Deathmatch
- Shotguns Only
- Grenades Only
- 3 vs. 3 Deathmatch
- M32-Hammers only
Variations only available in custom games Edit
The following two variations were formerly featured in All Competitive Modes, but were removed by Naughty Dog who replaced them with the former Lab playlists, "No Power Weapons" and "Desert-5 Shootout." They are currently available in custom games only.
- RPG-7s Only
- Sniper Rifles and Pistole Only
Deathmatch appears in the following playlists:
- Deathmatch (its own indivual playlist)
- Ranked (Standard Only)
- All Competitive Modes (Standard and Variations)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Edit
New Features Edit
Deathmatch in Uncharted 3 has some new features that were not present in Uncharted 2.
- Overtime - When a team reaches 50 kills and the other team has 49 or 50 as well, Overtime starts. Overtime consists of one extra minute of play that enables a team to earn more kills than the other.
- Sudden Death - If Overtime ends with equal scores, Sudden Death begins. Similar to Elimination, all enemy players have their names and player arrows shown onscreen, like the Call Out mod. The team with the most players still alive after Sudden Death (which lasts one minute) wins. If equal players are still alive, a Tie Game is reached.
- Power Plays - This is activated if a team is losing by a large amount. It gives the winning team a chance to maximize their cash, while the losing team have a chance to even the odds. The three Power Plays are Marked Man, Exposed, and Double Damage.
- Team Deathmatch - Two teams of up to five players face off in a 20-minute match. The first team to earn 50 kills wins.
- Three Team Deathmatch: Three teams of one or two players face off in a 20-minute match. The first team to earn 20 kills wins.
- Free for All: Eight players face off in a 20-minute match. The first player to earn 15 kills wins.
- Hardcore (discontinued): Two teams of up to five players face off in a 20-minute match. The first team to earn 50 kills wins. Additionally, some game mechanics are different than standard Deathmatch modes. Player health is increased. MODs, boosters, kickbacks, paid boosters, Power Plays, and Chests are disabled. Also, the cinematic sequences on Airstrip and London Underground (multiplayer map) do not occur.
- Classic Mode: Two teams of up to five players face off in a Uncharted 2-esque Deathmatch. The first team to earn 50 kills wins. Additionally, the game mechanics closely resemble Uncharted 2's. Weapon Mods, kickbacks, grenade throwbacks, and buddy spawning are disabled. Everyone starts with an AK-47 and a Para 9. The first team to earn 50 kills wins.