- "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is a new standalone adventure in the Uncharted series from developers Naughty Dog. Chloe returns in The Lost Legacy on the hunt for an ancient Indian artifact, the fabled Tusk of Ganesh. To help uncover the Tusk and keep it out of the hands of a ruthless warmonger, she enlists the help of renowned mercenary Nadine Ross."
- — Naughty Dog's official description
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is an action-adventure video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released for the PlayStation 4 on August 22, 2017 in North America, and August 23, 2017 in Europe. It is a stand-alone expansion pack to Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, and is the sixth installment within the Uncharted franchise.
Featuring a new single-player campaign, The Lost Legacy is set six-to-twelve months following the conclusion of A Thief's End. The game follows the adventures of Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross as they scout India to uncover the Tusk of Ganesh.
This is the first Uncharted game in the series not to feature Nathan Drake, and the first game in the series to feature a new protagonist.
The Lost Legacy takes about 7-9 hours to complete. The story takes place during July.
The game costs $40 to pre-order, but those with Uncharted 4's triple pack received it for free. Pre-ordering the game granted the player a free PS4 theme and a copy of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy for the PS4. Owning the triple pack does not count as a pre-order.
Set after the events of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Chloe Frazer (Claudia Black) enlists the aid of renowned mercenary Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey) in order to recover the Tusk of Ganesh, an Indian artifact Chloe's own father became obsessed with. They also endeavor to keep it out of the hands of Asav (Usman Ally), a ruthless war profiteer who endeavors to use the Tusk for his own personal gain.
Together, they venture deep into the mountains of India in search of the legendary artifact. Along the way, they learn to work together to unearth the mystery of the artifact, fight their way through fierce opposition, and prevent the region from falling into chaos.
- Claudia Black - Chloe Frazer
- Laura Bailey - Nadine Ross
- Troy Baker - Samuel Drake
- Usman Ally - Asav
- Tierra Rorls - Meenu
- "We wanted this adventure to feature all of the hallmarks of the series, from cinematic storytelling set within exotic destinations, to dynamic combat and intricate puzzles. It’s our biggest story expansion to-date and will be available as a standalone game on store shelves and for digital download."
- — Shaun Escayg, director.
The Lost Legacy was announced at the PlayStation Experience event on December 4, 2016, alongside its debut gameplay trailer. A gameplay video was released in April 2017, revealing the release date and announcing the pre-order bonus: the original Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, emulated on PlayStation 4. A story trailer was also shown at E3 in June 2017.
The entire game was built around Chloe's character, with the narrative and art design reflecting her darker, grounded mindset. Naughty Dog placed particular importance on Chloe's design in The Lost Legacy, maintaining familiar elements like her ponytail, but displaying minor signs of aging, including wrinkles. Her design and fighting style is different to that of Nathan, and her animations were altered as a result.
Naughty Dog found Chloe's character interesting as her moral compass is a "little bit less directed" than Nathan's; while she would previously seek artifacts for the reward, she is interested in the history of the Tusk of Ganesh due to its relevance to her family. They were also interested in exploring Chloe's coping mechanism from previous games—while she would previously escape a dangerous situation to save herself, in The Lost Legacy she is forced to persevere due to her leadership.
Naughty Dog felt that Chloe would require a partner with military expertise, and Nadine would be desperate for more work following Uncharted 4. Chloe is "spontaneous and impulsive", whereas Nadine is structured, and they need to overcome their differences in order to work together. The writers felt that the banter between the characters required subtlety over previous series entries; during development, they sometimes found that the dialogue was "too friendly", and altered the script as a result.
The game's main antagonist, Asav, is portrayed by Usman Ally. When preparing for the role, Ally met with Escayg to discuss experiences with "despotic regimes that had their roots in what was perceived as a noble cause".
Escayg compared Asav to Mexican medical surgeon  Ally found that relating to historical revolutionaries allowed him to better understand the character's logic. His childhood experiences living in corrupted countries also helped with his portrayal of Asav., having seen the documentary (2015); Ally described Mireles as "someone who had the charisma and belief in his people to rise up and lead a revolution of sorts", noting that Asav possesses a similar mindset and weaknesses.
Scherr and Escayg wrote the game's story. While previous Uncharted games followed specific historic figures, such as Marco Polo and Henry Avery, The Lost Legacy instead focuses on the region, and the surrounding philosophy and culture, due to the shorter development team allowing less intensive research. Because of this, unlike the previous games, there is no historical quote in the game's opening scene.
The writers particularly focused on Hinduism and the surrounding mythology when researching for the story. With The Lost Legacy, the team aimed to include the "slightly more fantastical feel" from the first three Uncharted games, which was absent from Uncharted 4 due to the grounded story. The story of The Lost Legacy allowed the team to explore gameplay elements scrapped from Uncharted 4.
- "Fans can expect the same 'wide-linear' level design seen in Uncharted 4. In fact, The Lost Legacy is 'going even a little more wide'."
- — Kurt Margenau, director for The Lost Legacy.
While some of the large open areas of Uncharted 4 were limited by the game's development schedule, Naughty Dog updated the production process to allow up to five teams to develop one location at a time for The Lost Legacy.
The natural diversity of thealso allowed Naughty Dog to explore different settings, including jungles, mountains, temples, and large urban environments.
They also implemented and into the game's architecture and foliage; using rounded silhouettes for Ganesh, and spiked, more aggressive silhouettes for Shiva.
Chloe Frazer is the primary protagonist in The Lost Legacy. Naughty Dog reworked the combat mechanics of Uncharted to better fit Chloe's size and fighting style; while Nathan fought like a brawler, Chloe utilizes techniques seen in martial arts. Naughty Dog purchased a lock picking set during development, to assist with the implementation of the in-game lock picking mechanics.
Chloe is able to equip silenced pistols to take out her foes from afar and avoid detection.
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy received "generally favorable" reviews, according to review aggregator .
- ↑ Naughty Dog. [@Naughty_Dog]. We have a new #Uncharted game! Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is a new standalone story chapter. Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross are back! #PSX16 Twitter. Retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ Escayg, Shaun (December 3, 2016). Naughty Dog | Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Announced. Naughtydog.com. Retrieved December 4, 2016
- ↑ Good, Owen S. (December 3, 2016). "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is coming from Naughty Dog". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Escayg, Shaun (April 11, 2017). "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Launching August 22, New Footage Released". PlayStation Blog. Sony Interactive Entertainment. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Escayg, Shaun (June 12, 2017). "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy — Watch the E3 Story Trailer". PlayStation Blog. Sony Interactive Entertainment. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 PlayStation (June 13, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – Live Interview. Sony Interactive Entertainment. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Wallace, Kimberley (March 20, 2017). "The Evolution Of Chloe's Design For Uncharted: The Lost Legacy". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Hanson, Ben (March 17, 2017). "The Biggest Decisions Behind Uncharted: The Lost Legacy". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Summers, Nick (June 16, 2017). "'The Lost Legacy' takes 'Uncharted' back to basics". Engadget. Oath Inc. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Bailey, Richard Jr. (May 30, 2017). "Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – An Interview With Usman Ally". The Koalition. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Sirio, Paolo (June 3, 2017). "Usman Ally Interview – Meet The Man Who Plays Asav, The Main Villain In Uncharted: The Lost Legacy". Gamepur. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Shuman, Sid; Escayg, Shaun; Margenau, Kurt; Scherr, Josh; Black, Claudia; Bailey, Laura (December 3, 2016). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: Panel Discussion. . Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Hanson, Ben (March 8, 2017). "Naughty Dog's New Vision For Uncharted: The Lost Legacy". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Concept Art Gallery, Chapter 4 - The Western Ghats pgs. 1-2; "In Shiva's architecture, verticals are always dominant, leaving an overall spiked silhouette shape. The feel should be more aggressive and less stable and less bottom heavy than Ganesha." Naughty Dog. Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- ↑ Shuman, Sid (March 20, 2017). "First Look at Uncharted: The Lost Legacy". . . Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- ↑ Plessas, Nick (August 17, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy review. . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ Reiner, Andrew (August 17, 2017). The Heart Of Adventure Is Bigger Than One Hero - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PlayStation 4. . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ Leack, Jonathan (August 22, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review – Swinging Through the Finish Line. . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ Concepcion, Miguel (August 17, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review. . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ Loveridge, Sam (August 17, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - "There's a depth there that just hasn't existed before.". . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ Sliva, Marty (August 16, 2017). Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review. . Retrieved September 7, 2017
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for PlayStation 4 Reviews. . Retrieved September 7, 2017